Fav 0
+34 604 273 306 / +34 951236 390 menu
  • English

Once you have made the choice to buy a house in Spain ,we would like you to inform whats important to know..

Can you buy a House in Marbella or Spain?

Yes. There are no restrictions on any nationality from any country to purchase real estate in Spain. Residents and non-residents alike can Buy a property in Spain: residential and commercial properties, or plots of land in Marbella and Spain

All you need to purchase a property in Spain is a “NIE” (Número de Identificación de Extranjero), which is a unique personal tax identification number to track all financial and legal activities in Spain. The Spanish NIE number acts as a tax identification number and is used in all fiscal transactions involving the Spanish tax office. MARBELLA-HOMES have experience in obtaining NIE numbers and can provide guidance on the procedure. Depending on your nationality and status, the application and issuance of the new NIE number can be completed the same day or i na few days..

there are some things that you must consider. It is therefore nice to have some guidance on exactly what steps are needed before your dream house becomes your property. For Marbella-Homes it is important that you are fully informed at all times! This can only lead to a safe and successful purchase!..

Determining your budget you are ready for Spain to realize your’e dream..

You may have an idea about a budget. Take into account the fact that in addition to the price of the displayed properties there is an additional 13% in VAT, stamp tax, notary fees and legal experts.. See detail below..


Reservation agreement

To quickly remove the property you have chosen from the market, it is important that the buyer makes a down payment. This amount varies in proportion to the purchase price of the property but is usually between EUR 6,000 and EUR 10,000. It is important to deposit this amount into a third-party account of your legal representative and not directly to the promoter or us.

DUE DILIGENCE (“due diligence study”)

The broker provides the contact details of the seller / promoter to your legal representative / lawyer. As soon as the advance is en route to his third-party account, the lawyer  takes contact with the seller / promoter to inform him that he is representing you, the buyer. He also requests all the necessary documentation to start his investigation.


The following will be checked:

  • The legal identity of the owner / seller of the property that you wish to purchase
  • Whether the property under construction is legally registered in the Property Register (“Registro de Propiedad”)
  • Whether the property is free of debts and charges (mortgage loans, pledges, etc., …).


Whether the property has the required and corresponding building permits, that it complies with the local spatial planning laws, that it has the “habitability certificate” and the “certificate of first occupancy” issued by the municipality

Whether the architectural specifications and quality provisions are transferred to the buyer and included in the annexes to the purchase agreement..

Whether both bank guarantees and insurance are arranged to safeguard all funds paid to the developer during the construction process..

Checking and analyzing the purchase agreement drawn up by the developer so that your rights are protected.

Translate the sales agreement so that you clearly know where you stand..


Usually the house is partly financed from the owner and partly with a mortgage. Because the mortgage options in Spain are different than in Belgium and the Netherlands,and other country’s, it is advisable to take a good look at this first. Granting a loan is easier from your basic environment.. Nevertheless, Spanish banks are very interested in foreign customers due to the low risk.


IVA (VAT): 10% for residential real estate. (VAT 21% on grounds, garages and storage rooms).

Stamp duties (for Andalusia): 1.5%

Notary fees: fees for the notary are calculated according to a tariff arrangement agreed with the authorities and depend on the nature of the purchase / sale and the number of pages in the final deed of purchase. Every notary applies the same fee for the same concept. The fee for the purchase of a typical residential home varies between EUR 500 and EUR 1,800.

Registration costs in the “Registro de la Propiedad” (property register): the costs that apply upon registration in the property register are calculated according to a tariff arrangement agreed with the authorities  what is includet in the 13%

Legal costs lawyer: 1% of the agreed selling price + 21% VAT

In the event of purchase of a property by a new mortgage loan, registration fees and notarial fees are also apply here because it concerns a separate deed that must be registered. Stamp duties of 1.5% also apply to the amount of the mortgage loan

Definitive deed of sale or completion

After completion and obtaining of the ́ owner habitability statement ́ ́ and the ́ ́ declaration of first habitation ́ ́, the final deed of sale will be signed. This is done either by the buyer with the assistance of his legal representative / lawyer, or by the legal representative through the aforementioned proxy. The signing of the final purchase deed is also the time at which the balance of the agreed purchase price must be paid to the seller / promoter, and at which the buyer becomes the owner of the property and takes possession of it.

MARBELLA-HOMES is recognized in the sector as one of the leading firms in assisting foreign real-estate investors to buy and sell properties in Spain safely, with the best possible terms and with no surprises – while paying minimum taxes and other costs in the process.

Whether you are a holiday home buyer or a professional real-estate fund, you simply choose the property and we take care of the rest. Our full package of services includes tax planning, NIE numbers, setting up of companies, due diligence, survey, contracts, closing and even tying up any loose ends, such as direct debiting the invoices and transferring the utility contracts into the name of the new owner.

If you would like to have some advice about property investment in Spain you are on the right place. Our real estate Company run the range from holiday homebuyers to institutional investors!…

Do i need a VISA or NOT?..

..Golden VISA and SHORT and Long-term VISAS for Spain

Find out if you need a Spanish visa or permit to visit, live, work or study in Spain

Golden VISA and SHORT and Long-term VISAS for Spain,

Who needs a visa or permit for Spain?

Under the Freedom of Movement Act, if you’re a national from one of the countries in the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) – that is, all the countries of the EU plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway – or Switzerland, you don’t need a visa or other permit to visit, live, work or study in Spain.

EU/EEA and Swiss citizens moving to Spain will need to register with the authorities and get a NIE or national identity number. To find out more about this,ask us, we are happy to help you out asap with that..

Nationals from other countries will need a visa to live in Spain, and in most cases, a work permit too.

Entry and short-term visas for Spain

Spain is one of 26 countries making up the ‘Schengen’ area: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden and Switzerland. They have one common visa and no border controls between them.

Short-stay visa for Spain

A short-stay Schengen visa (visado de corta duracion) allows you to stay in Spain – but not work – for up to 90 days in a 180-day period.

If you have a Schengen visa issued by another Schengen state you can also come and stay in Spain for 90 days.

Nationals from the US, Australia, Canada and New Zealand don’t need a short-stay visa to enter Spain but will need to apply for a long-term residence visa to stay longer than three months

There are three types of visa allowing entry to Spain

Airport transit visa.

Short-stay Schengen visa

Long-term visa.

New fast-track visa

Student VISA

Golden VISA

NOTE: Student Visa: To study in Spain for more than six months you can apply for a type D student visa and a student residence permit/card or Foreigner Identity Card (within 30 days from your arrival in Spain) from your local Foreigner Office or police station. You’ll need an acceptance letter from the educational institute you plan to undertake your studies, medical insurance, a medical certificate, proof of funds, Spanish residential address and a recently dated police clearance certificate from your home country.

Non-EU national investors, entrepreneurs, highly qualified professionals and researchers can apply for fast-track visas such as GOLDEN VISA and permits, which offer preferential treatment, such as automatic residence for the whole family with no minimum stay, and free travel throughout the Schengen visa region.

There are conditions to fulfill for each category, for example, investors may need to spend €500,000 on a Spanish property. For more information on requirements for each category of applicant,contact us  if you need more information ..we will glad to help you!..

NOTE: After a period of five years residence in Spain you are entitled to apply for the right to permanent EC residence. EC residence allows you to live and work in Spain (and the rest of the EU) for any time period..

Need more information? ..we will glad to help you!..

Healthcare in Spain

With a social state approach, Spanish healthcare system is considered as one of the bests around the world. Throughout the country, there is a wide network of modern hospitals and healthcare centers that offer efficient service with reasonable waiting times. Behind the fact that life expectancy in Spain is higher than most of the other European countries, relies that efficient healthcare system as well as with the climate, clean air and Mediterranean nutrition habits.

EU citizens can benefit from the healthcare services equally as Spanish citizens. On the other hand, non-EU citizens can register in social security system with their working permit and can have the same rights.

Also, private health insurance is a common fact in Spain. With a payment around 50 Euros per month per person, you can eliminate the waiting times and have a chance to get a more attentive service, if you would like to.


Marbella-homes Team